Saturday, December 31, 2011

How are spending New Year's Eve?

Guess a lot of you are planning parties, getting supplies for ringing in the New Year, planning on watching ball games on tv, and various other activities that you may not be prepared to discuss tactfully.  In my younger days, I would answer what most young people even now would say, "PPPPAAAARRRRTTTTAAAAAYYYY!!!  Most middle age people still like to party and act like they are young.  Too each his/her own.  Why do people think they have to act like others think they are supposed too?  I have heard many young, middle aged, and seniors say "I don't really want to go, but guess I will."  If you don't want to go, why go?  Why worry so much about what other people think?  I guess I am at that age where you can say, "Well, she's old.  You have to look over her sometimes."  You don't have to look over me.  If you don't like what I have to say, then don't ask.  I learned early in life not to lie.  It takes too much energy and brain power to keep up with all the lies after you start telling them.  It got me a nickname that I was proud of--the "B" word.  That meant that people wouldn't mess with me.  But it also meant that when someone asked me something, they expected me to tell them the truth.  I would always ask, "Do you really want to know what I think?  I don't believe you are going to like what I have to say."  You don't have to mean about it.  I figure if someone respects you enough to ask, you should respect them enough to tell them the truth.  A lot of the time, the truth hurts.  That is why it is called the "truth."  But after a while, people begin to trust in your judgement.  They may just need another prospective on whatever they are having trouble dealing with, and they value your input.  Many times I have heard my friends and family say, "Tell me what you think.  I know you will tell me the truth."  I will even explain what I have to tell you if needed.  Needless to say, I value my opinions.  And I have a lot, most of which I try to keep to myself.  I try not to volunteer my opinions or force them on anyone else.  I just wait until someone asks.  My answers have cost me what others called themselves "friends."  I have made my family mad for short periods of time, but they always seem to forgive me.  And believe it or not, I still have quite a few friends all over the United States who still call me, text me, e-mail me, or contact me on facebook.  You can not have to many friends.  True and lasting friendship is hard to come by but very rewarding if you are lucky enough to have some.  Just keep in mind that kindness with truth will make the truth a little easier to hear.  Smile even if you don't feel like it.  I think I have gotten off track.  So.  Let me finish what I started.  I plan to celebrate New Year's Eve like I always do.  I will watch the big ball drop in New York City (on tv, of course).  I will be at home drinking my diet coke.  I will be with my loved ones--my daughter, grandson, 3 dogs, 2 hermit crabs, and a blue male betta with fringey fins.  I will be surrounded by love.  However you celebrate, be safe and make good decisions beforehand if needed.   May God bless you today and each and every day.

No comments: